Basbousa with Yogurt Basbousa Bil Laban Zabadi (Vegetarian)
9 ½ cups milk
4 tbsp vinegar
1 cup heavy cream
3 cups and 2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp orange blossom water
1 tbsp rose water
2 cups shredded coconut
2 tsp baking powder
2 cups semolina
2 ½ oz melted butter
1 ½ cups yogurt
Almond halves and slivers
½ lemon, juiced
1. Preheat the oven to 360F.
2. In a pot over medium heat, pour 8.5 cups milk and 4 tbsp vinegar. When the milk begins to thicken at the top, remove those curds and set aside in a bowl.
3. Then, in a saucepan over medium heat, combine 1 cup milk, 1 cup heavy cream, 2 tbsp sugar and 2 tbsp cornstarch. Be sure to stir continuously so it becomes as smooth and creamy as possible.
4. In the cream, add 1 tsp orange blossom water and 1 tsp rose water. Then, pour in the milk curds from step 1. Mix well and remove from heat.
5. In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup sugar, 2 cups shredded coconut, 2 tsp baking powder, 2 cups semolina flour, then mix. Then, add in 1 egg, 2 ½ oz melted butter, 1 ½ cups yogurt. Mix all the ingredients together until a smooth dough forms.
6. Grease a springform cake pan with butter.
7. Begin scooping half of the semolina dough into the cake pan, and smooth it down, forming the first layer of the cake.
8. Form the next layer with the milk cream. Be sure to smooth out this layer leaving about an inch away from the edge of the cake pan.
9. Finally, scoop the last layer of cake using the remaining semolina dough. Smooth it out.
10. Use 5 peeled almond halves per flower to top the cake with a few flowers. You can also sprinkle extra slivered almonds around them.
11. Bake for about 40 minutes or until browned.
12. While baking, make a sugar syrup in a saucepan using 2 cups sugar, 2 cups water, and the juice of half a lemon. Once boiled, allow the syrup to fully cool.
13. Once the cake is done baking, pour the cooled sugar syrup atop the warm cake.