Chef Tom Franz - Passover Desserts - Chocolate Creme Cups
A very fun and indulgent chocolate dessert, yet it is so light, because it is milk based, not cream based. I love this dessert because it reminds me of my childhood. Sometimes I add whipped cream on top, and then it becomes the most delicious homemade milkshake. It is also perfect for the holidays because it can be prepared in advance.
Ingredients (for 6-8 cups):
⅔ cup sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
Pinch of salt
3 cups milk (for pareve option, use plant milk and an extra tbsp of cornstarch)
4 egg yolks
1 tbsp of cocoa powder
1 tsp of pure vanilla extract
4-6 oz of chopped dark chocolate
Cocoa powder to garnish
1. Combine the sugar, cornflour and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Add ⅓ cup of milk and beat with a hand whisk until smooth. Then, add the egg yolks, the rest of the milk, and the cocoa powder and whisk well.
2. Cook the mixture over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the mixture thickens, about 15 minutes. Do not let it reach a boil. Remove from the heat once finished.
3. Add the vanilla extract and dark chocolate. Mix well until smooth.
4. Pour the mixture into glasses (you can use different types of glasses, for example interesting wine glasses or old-fashioned porcelain glasses). Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours (you can prepare this dish up to two days in advance).
5. Garnish with cocoa powder and serve cold.