Puff Pastry Poppy Seed Filling Vegetarian
1 cup ground poppy seeds
1 cup sugar
1 cup cookie crumbs
½ cup chopped walnuts
½ cup shredded green apple
Zest of 1 lemon
½ cup milk
1. Defrost filo dough in the refrigerator overnight.
2. In a food processor, combine poppy seeds, sugar, cookie crumbs, walnuts, green apple, lemon zest, and milk. Blend until smooth.
3. Preheat the oven to 360F.
4. Unroll the filo dough, and cut it into approximately 3x3 inch squares.
5. In each square, cut 1 inch slits in the center of each side. They should not touch each other.
6. Fill the uncut portion of dough in the center with the poppy seed filling.
7. Fold opposite corners of the square to overlap, and pinch them together over the filling.
8. Then, fold the two corners of the dough that is covering the filling. This should make two flower petals. Repeat with the other half of the dough. The shape should look like a 4 petal flower.
9. Bake for about 20 minutes.
10. Optional: sprinkle with powdered sugar to serve.